Are Daylilies Poisonous to Dogs?. Daylilies produce colorful blooms that can brighten up your home. If you have pets, take care to see if a plant is poisonous before planting it so you can protect their health.
Daylilies produce colorful blooms that can brighten up your home. If you have pets, take care to see if a plant is poisonous before planting it so you can protect their health.
The daylily plant and its flowers are not poisonous to dogs, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Your dog could get an upset stomach from eating an unfamiliar food, but daylilies pose no toxic danger to it.
If you are planting daylilies in your yard, take care to keep your dog away from the rhizomes. While the plant will not injure your dog, the daylily bulbs are more likely to make it ill if they are ingested, according to "Who Moved My Bone?," a guide to owning more than one dog.
While daylilies are not poisonous for dogs, they are toxic to cats. If you have cats in your household and they eat the leaves of the lily, they could die of kidney failure. If your dog experiences excessive vomiting, drooling or muscle tremors after eating any plant, contact your veterinarian right away. Bring a portion of the plant into the office to help your veterinarian determine a course of treatment.
Check out these related posts